6.16.2010

Fumbling and Frustrated, I Surrender

His fingers fumble with the wrapper.


He has earned a sucker for cleaning his plate and he is so proud. He is grinning, picking at the wrapper, reminding me again, "I ate it all".


He turns it round and round, pulling at the waxy blue paper. His brow is furrowed in concentration. The pulling starts to get more aggressive...


I lean over, my face close to his face.


"Would you like some help?"


"No! I don't want some help"


He is persistent. He starts again...but in vain.


He yells out in frustration this time. No words, just a yell.


I lean over once again, looking into his big blue-gray eyes. I take note of the quivering lip.


"Honey, why don't you let mama help you".


"yes." He seems to feel defeated somehow.


I unwind the wrapper, drop it on the table, and hand him his prize. He perks right back up, satisfied with the reward.



Psalm 18:6
In my distress I called to the LORD; I cried
to my God for help. From his temple he heard
my voice; my cry came before him, into his ears.


Psalm 33:20
We wait in hope for the LORD; he is our help and our shield.

Psalm 46:1
God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.

Psalm 108:6
Save us and help us with your right hand,
that those you love may be delivered.

Isaiah 41:13
For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold
of your right hand and says to you, Do not
fear; I will help you.



1 comment:

  1. It seems that having kids around is a great source of inspiration in our own faith lives. I know I always say goodbye to Roman and Judah with a renewed understanding of my own call to truly be a CHILD of God! :)

    ReplyDelete