8.07.2008

I have been reading the book Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis. It's a very thorough introduction to Christian theology - great read for anyone who is a believer, and also a great book to hand to someone who has a lot of doubts about religion. This book is definitely going on my list of favorites.

I have been writing down quotes that have touched me while I was reading (I borrowed this copy...just thought that maybe my friend Anna doesn't want her book scribbled in, underlined, and with my personal thoughts forever scrawled all over the pages).

Anyway, I was going back through the quotes that I had written down. So many of them caught my eye again. (Have I mentioned that I would really like to write a book someday? The more I think about this, and the more that I read thought-provoking books that really change me for the better, the more I desire to make a difference in that way. Not the point, but thought you should know.)

C.S. Lewis is phenomenal with analogies. As soon as he gives an example I think "wow, that is complex...don't know if I am going to be able to follow this" and then he explains it in such a way that makes it crystal clear. There are so many things that I love about his writing. So, here is a little snippet for you to sample:

"God made us;
invented us as a man invents an engine.
A car is made t0 run on gasoline,
and it would not run properly on anything else.
Now God designed the human machine to run on Himself.
He himself is the fuel our spririts were designed to burn.
There is no other.
That is why it is just no good asking God to make us happy in our own way
without bothering about religion.
God cannot give us happiness and peace apart from himself
because it is not there.
There is no such thing."

There is no other. As the song states "There's a God-shaped hole in all of us". We have a void that can only be filled with Christ. How many times have I sought after something that was going to really bring fulfillment in my life? Someone that would be a comfort to me? It doesn't matter what we try to fill it with...destructive things, things that seem insignificant, or even things that are good things - things that are God-given, if we don't fill the void with Christ himself, we are incomplete and cannot experience the life that he offers us...life to the fullest.

No comments:

Post a Comment