8.01.2011

A Political Post

I don't write much of these, but I can't help myself tonight.

Have you heard about the new mandate that says insurance companies must provide contraception with no copay?

If you know me or have read this blog for very long, you can probably guess that I have a moral opinion on this matter.

But, let's set that aside for a moment.

I do have a moral objection, but I also have common sense.

Has anyone else heard that we're in the middle of a bit a debt crisis?

Even if you do not share my moral stance, is this really a wise thing for our country to be spending money on given our current financial state?

If I had the chance (to say my piece about morals AND common sense), here is what I would say.



Dear Mr. President,
First, I want you to know that you have my respect. You hold an office that demands honor and I believe that you are doing the best that you can. You took an oath to preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States. Big job. I'm glad it's not mine and I appreciate your efforts to uphold that oath.

When you promised healthcare reform, I didn't understand that this was going to be part of it. I, personally, don't see contraception as "healthcare", since it prohibits the normal, healthy functioning of the reproductive system. There have been studies showing how it can be dangerous for women (not to mention babies!), especially when taken for long periods of time, and has been linked to breast and uterine cancer, miscarriage/early abortion, and problems with fertility.

When I pictured healthcare reform, I was thinking about individuals without insurance, the boy at my church whose family is probably losing all of their savings paying for his chemo treatments, caring for widows and orphans, or decreasing the cost of my grandma's heart medicine -that keeps her alive...$700/month. (That's AFTER insurance pays $1000/month).

It seems like we need to step back and look at our priorities. How much money is going toward providing free contraception while we are in the middle of these debt talks? It seems like an unnecessary expense. It seems counterproductive. Why is this beneficial? Who is this helping?

Mr. President, we watched you address the nation the other night. Our children watched too. In fact, Roman told me today that he wanted to "watch President Obama again".

We pray for you everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment