11.10.2010

The One Where I Ponder the Kitchen and the Heart

I haven't posted much lately because I am having a hard time putting my thoughts and feelings into words. It has been challenging to sort through the emotions of everything that has happened in the last month. Throw in extra crazy-pregnancy-emotions and you get a bunch of ridiculous blubbering that makes no sense whatsoever.

I actually typed out a whole post the other night and when I went back to read through it, I realized that it actually sounded like I was illiterate. It was just a bunch of words that made no sense together. Aren't you glad I didn't post that one?? :)

Anyway, I am going to try again.

The last month has been scary. I think I've pretty much already covered all the bases there.
The last month has been miraculous. God is so good and so faithful to us.
The last month has been humbling.

I know I have already said it, but I am so overwhelmed with all the help that I have received, especially from the AMAZING women at our church. It is so neat when you just a get a call saying "hey, I'm coming over on Tuesday to take the boys to the park so you can rest" or "hey, what day would you like to borrow a teenage daughter? She can play with the kids and clean your house." Seriously? I feel so so blessed. It has really made me think about the kind of woman I want to be and what I am doing right now in order to become that woman.

I feel like there are so many days that I go through my routine trying to "get by" instead of being purposeful. I hate that.

Most recently, I feel like there are days when I dwell on what I can't do--on my limitations-- instead of what is important. For example, I am not supposed to be lifting heavy things or doing anything strenuous. That means little things you wouldn't think of like laundry baskets, trash bags, little boys who don't want to go where you want them to, etc. Yes, it's frustrating to have a messy house and to not be able to lift my little guys. But does that really matter? What is the most important thing to me?

What is the point of keeping up the false appearance that I always have my act together? (that is what it has become. Sometimes I just want to have a clean house, and a delicious meal on the table, with well behaved children so that people will think I'm doing a good job) But, is that accomplishing my ultimate goal to unconditionally love my kids and show them what it means to know, love, and serve the Lord daily...despite our circumstances? And what is a "good job"? And who determines that? I think it's this: "I want to be faithful in everything, even if no one sees but Him." I answer to Him.

I am far from perfect. Far from the perfect parent. Far from the perfect wife. Far from the pefect homemaker.

So, here is my confesssion of the day:

I raise my voice sometimes. Sometimes I downright yell.
I lose my patience. A lot.
I haven't mopped my floor in weeks.
Sometimes I put in a second movie just to be able to sit quietly with my feet up.
There are days when I put my kids to bed knowing that I didn't teach them anything new.
I suck at being consistent with my God time.
My counters are sticky.
There are days when I realize that bedtime prayer is the only time I have talked to the boys about Jesus all day.
Sometimes I am rude and disrespectful to my husband.
There are days when I voice a lot more complaints than I do positive thoughts.
Sometimes I am totally selfish and want to do my own thing with no one bothering me.
I let laundry pile up for days at a time. And I don't fold my children's clothing. Ever.


I'm not proud of those things, but I needed to tell you. Because who am I helping by pretending to be the perfect mom and wife? I know I'm not really fooling anyone. This striving to seem like I have my act together all the time? It's actually pride...keeping me as a slave to himself. I'm done with that. I would rather be spending my time becoming a woman who serves her family and her friends, lovingly, no matter what the kitchen looks like.

Don't get me wrong, I like a clean house as much as the next mom, but I'd rather have a clean heart.

6 comments:

  1. I feel that by sharing our weaknesses and our pain we help so many other people!!!
    P.S. you are an amazing women of God who is always challenging me and you always have a positive attitude (especially when i didn't)!
    I pray that i can be half the mom that you are!
    Thank you for sharing.....it shows that you are real!! and that you have feelings and pain....if you didn't feel this way i would have thought there was something wrong with my best friend!!! Thats why i ask if it bothered you when i was holding Judah at church.....cuz it bothered me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs Ruthann! I can totally relate to everything you posted. Just remember each day is a new day and that God is a forgiving God. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing. I totally love your thoughts. I think I always try to be perfect at everything and the truth is that there just isn't enough time to always have a clean house and a home cooked meal. I have a friend who always has a disaster in her house, but her family is always having fun and enjoying each other. That is what matters the most! I need to start living by this philosophy too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post made me tear up. I think every woman has a list of the things we SUCK at, but we pretend we're good at. You know what? I'm done too. And it helps so much. I may not keep my car clean or keep a sweet budget until I enter eternity.

    But He has my heart. And that's what He wants! The same for you, my friend. You're beautiful, servant, honest heart is what God wants. Not your un-sticky counters :)

    LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have no idea why it says that Paul said all that... It's actually Christina. I think at some point I changed my info to Paul for a youth ministry fake Apostle Paul blog and can't change it back.

    *sigh*
    Christina Nichols

    ReplyDelete
  6. You inspire me, Ruth Ann! You really do. I feel so blessed to be able to call you sister. In ministry, I'm always amazed at the times when I feel I am at my weakest and have nothing left to give... those are actually the times that end up being the most meaningful both for me and the teens because those are the times when God becomes my strength... :) I'm still keeping you in prayer... and I can't wait to do all sorts of heavy lifting when I get to Iowa in a few weeks! :)

    ReplyDelete